Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Assateaque 2012

This year marks the 20th anniversary of my initial visit to the sacred grounds that is Assateaque Island State Park. I was introduced to this place by a college girlfriend, it was and possibly is a favorite place of her families as well. Anyway, i just returned from my 14th, possibly 15th Assateaque trip depending on if i am counting correctly and every year leads to knew discoveries and memories.

 The Airstream performed with honors this trip. It tows like a dream, stores all of our goods and sleeping in that bad boy with that ocean breeze blowing through led to some relaxed, restful nights.

 Once we added kids to the mix 6 years ago that has been the main focus. They are both beach bums already and Thira's confidence in the ocean grows every year.


 For me it's all about using this week to think about where I am in life and where i would like to head in the future. I didn't do to much introspection this year because keeping an eye on two kids at the beach takes a lot of time also I am in a good place as a wellness coach right now so not much soul searching was needed.

 I got two good runs in, I wanted a final long run but my achilles was so tender from my last beach run that I did a lot of biking instead.

 I also went to a beginner yoga class that they have every weekday morning. The session was definitely entry level but the movements felt great at 8:00am on the beach.

 New traditions at the campsite were born including the introduction of Spam, and two new breakfast spots were discovered.

 Some obvious negatives like my bike being stolen the night before we left and the brand new generator shitting the bed after about 10 hrs, of very light operation. With all of this though when the sun is shining, the waves are crashing and the kids are playing on the beach all the stressful aspects just get washed away.

 Until Aug. of 2013 have a good year Assateaque.


No comments:

Post a Comment